About the Position: Office Administrator – 3/4 time
We are seeking a sharp, enthusiastic individual to become our next Office Administrator, managing the day-to-day administrative and financial aspects of Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ. The successful applicant will have finance and accounting experience, and must be self-motivated to learn and use software and technologies. A positive attitude, exceptional people-facing and communication skills along with keen organization talents strongly preferred. The need to handle sensitive and confidential information with integrity, in full support of, and alignment with, the pastoral staff is a top priority. Individuals who can offer diverse racial, cultural and class perspectives and experience are strongly encouraged to apply
About Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ
ORUCC is a progressive, socially-minded and inclusive congregation trying to make the Christian faith relevant in today’s world. We are deeply committed to social action, a vibrant worship life, and a ministry with children and youth. Our commitment is to walk together in the journey of faith. While a distinctly Christian congregation, we welcome theological inquiry, insights from other faiths, and those with serious questions and doubts. Seekers and doubters abound in our midst among guests and members alike. We welcome visitors and guests at all our functions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee financial management and systems
- Manage ORUCC’s annual budget in coordination with the Treasurer.
- Manage payroll, employee benefits and organizational insurance in coordination with the Treasurer.
- Organize fiscal documents.
- Pay and file monthly and quarterly tax obligations
- Manage day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using PowerChurch, producing reports monthly for Leadership Team meetings
- Generate tracking systems for congregational payments and donations for related to ministries, retreats, and other special events
- Reconcile monthly financial activity, generating year-end reports, and fulfilling tax related requirements.
- Work with Church pastoral staff to maintain archival and administrative files.
- When directed by the Leadership Team, participate in financial audit
- Oversee purchasing process and maintains positive vendor relationships
Administrative & Program Support
- Support Sunday worship service in the printing of bulletin, and communicating with all Sunday morning volunteers
- Answer general phone inquiries and direct calls, providing basic church information
- Monitor general church email and respond appropriately or pass on to responsible person(s)
- Maintain congregation membership database in coordination with pastors
- Maintain minutes of Leadership Team, Ministries and Mission teams.
- Maintain church records of weekly worship attendance
- Prepare, proof and print forms needed for garth, baptisms, funerals, and weddings
- Maintain online calendar of events and manage requests to use facilities
- Distribute church keys as needed
- Contract Management negotiation and renewals
Building Management & Maintenance
- Provide general direction for the day-to-day operations of the church to assure that needed activity is accomplished
- Work closely with Resources Ministry to maintain satisfactory operating condition of the physical building and grounds
- Schedule and manage building repairs and maintenance
- Supervises church custodian
Qualifications & Competencies
- Ability to handle confidential information with integrity & sensitivity in full support of, and alignment with, the pastoral staff
- Excellent interpersonal skills, serving as ORUCC ambassador, offering grace and hospitality to all
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional and ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Interest in working in a faith-based, active, community environment
- Demonstrate a commitment to support the mission of ORUCC
- Have at least 3 years of experience in financial management or accounting
- Competence in use of computer programs including Microsoft Office and accounting software
- Motivated, self-starter who can work independently and manage multiple tasks
- Excellent communication skills, organized & detail-oriented
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, tax and compliance requirements of church status
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing volunteer groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Professional and positive attitude, attention to detail, and a collaborative style.
To apply for this position, please email your resume including references to email@example.com, or mail it to Administrative Hiring, ORUCC, 1501 Gilbert Road, Madison WI 53711
Individuals who can offer diverse racial, cultural and class perspectives and experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Given the confidential nature of the position, current or former members of the ORUCC congregation will not be considered eligible to apply, nor is the hired person to become a member of ORUCC.